The Beginner’s Guide To SEO [Infographic]
One of the requirements of building your own website, if you intend for it to be noticed, that is, is to learn about search engine optimization, or SEO. SEO is the tool (and process) web developers use to get their sites to higher ranks on search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo. It helps to generate traffic, which generates recognition and therefore sales. Following are some simple facts that will help you along your way of becoming and SEO expert so you can get your website ranking higher and higher on the search engines that weigh so heavily on your success.
Like this infographic? Get more SEO tips from BeginWebsites.com.
1. Quality Content Is Important With SEO
For starters, search engines will check your bounce rate, which is the rate that people get to your site and immediately leave. So, in order for your SEO campaign to truly work, you’ll first need to be sure that your website is filled with quality content that people will want to see. This is why your keywords, which we’ll go over in the next section, should be woven seamlessly, and why you should present your readers with content that they will consider valuable and engaging.
2. Keywords and Phrases
Once you’ve created a website full of quality content, you can start worrying about more commonly discussed SEO practices. SEO is commonly known as the process of “stuffing” keywords and phrases into your website content, in order to let search engines know what said content is about. While SEO is much more complex than just that, you’ll still need to know the basics of this step.
- Keywords and phrases are the words that people type into search engines when looking for information on a particular topic. If your website is in relation to SEO, for example, two keywords/phrases you’ll want to use are “SEO” and “search engine optimization”.
- Search engines recognize a certain density above all others, which is 1-2%. This means that if your webpage is 1,000 words long, your keyword/phrase will need to appear 10-20 times.
- Keywords should always be seamlessly woven into the content of your site. You can’t simple repeat “SEO” 15 times and think you’ve reached the correct density and therefore up your rankings; search engines are much smarter than that, and rely on other things to help them along in recognizing your site as one that deserves a higher ranking than another.
- Always conduct keyword research using Google’s keyword tool. Type in the keyword you’re aiming for, and it will show you what keywords people are actually using. This will help you be more accurate in your keyword and keyphrase placement in your content and articles.
Another factor that search engines consider is how many sites have links to your site, as a reference. This compiled with a low bounce rate lets search engines know that people consider your website valid and valuable. You can take several steps to get more backlinks to your page. A few strategies are listed below.
- Guest posting on other, related blogs will help your website rankings out because said blogger will likely allow you to backlink your site on their website. Start putting together some information you don’t mind giving away for free, and writing some articles in relation and submitting them to other blog sites.
- Collaborating reviews are a great way to network and get other bloggers to publicly recognize your site while you’re also publicly recognizing theirs. If you’ve been keeping up with a blog that’s in relation to your own, contact the owner and see if they would be willing to do such a collaboration. In this case, you’ll be reviewing the blogger’s site/work on your own site, and the blogger will be reviewing your site/work on his/her on site, and each of you will be adding a backlinks into the posts.
- Article directories are a popular and common way to get backlinks to your site. Simply start an account on a directory like ezinearticles.com and write informational articles and backlink to your own site.
4. Social Engagement
Once you’ve accomplished the other three aspects of SEO, it’s time to move forward and start promoting your business on social networking websites, like Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn. This allows you to not only bring more traffic to your sites through the promotion which will up your Google ranking, but also give you more opportunity to put your keywords in more places on the web, and backlink to your website more often, incorporating the already mentioned factors of SEO.
Taking these four points of guidance will help you immensely in conquering the task of having a search engine optimized website. Remember your content quality, keywords, backlinks, and social aspects and your site will soon become noticed by search engines and start rising in the ranks.